10.20.2010

Refashioned Dog Sweater Tutorial

I know there are some dog sweater haters out there. I'm not one of them, but my hubs is. I promise to never dress my dog up like this picture below, though.
Here's the deal: Wyatt is really small and does get cold while he's outside. I knew my dear husband wouldn't be so happy about spending $20 on a dog sweater. When I ran into this kids sweater in the .50 cent pile at a local thrift store the light bulb went off: he can't be that mad if I only spend .50 cents on one!
First I measured the little pup -- around his neck and belly. Then I cut the following pieces from the sweater:
1. Front and back (er...top and bottom on a dog?) that is about 2 inches wider than half his belly circumference.
2. The collar (from the bottom hemline)
3. Sleeves (also from the bottom hemline)
Next, I estimated the distance between his front legs and cut slits into the bottom half of the sweater.
Using both my serger and sewing machine I very carefully attached the sleeves by slipping them into the slits I cut previously. {It's hard working with such a small opening, so go slowly!}
Here's what it looks like with the sleeves attached.
I stitched the front to the back, then serged the collar on.
Wyatt likes the sweater just fine! Look how fluffy his backside looks -- shows you how much hair he actually had!
Don't worry. We got him haircut and now he's lookin' all cute and stuff.
We've had a warming trend here in Arkansas, so he hasn't needed the sweater. There's a cold front coming, though, so I'll break it out soon enough!
I'm linking this project to:
Between Naps on the Porch , Making the World Cuter, The DIY Show Off, The Persimmon Perch, Skip to My Lou, Keeping it Simple, A Soft Place to Land, Today's Creative Blog, Blue Cricket Design, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Remodelaholic, Tatertots and Jello

blog signature

9 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! And an inexpensive craft too. Very nice, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY cute! Love it! you are so creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-doggie-sweater-refashion/2010/10/21/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, it's really cute...and cheap! Right now I'm trying to make booties for my dog but I keep getting sidetracked. I did make a Halloween costume for her though. You should check it out:

    http://www.muselodge.com/2010/10/kiss-army.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh your dogie is so cute, this is a fabulous idea. I have two dogs, but one is so tiny and he gets cold all the time, I am going to try your idea. Thank you so much.

    Hugs,

    Maria & Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I've been joking that I'm going to dress our black cat for halloween. He keeps telling me "she's a black cat, that's all the costume she needs."

    This week is my blog anniversary and I'm hosting a week's worth of great giveaways. Feel free to stop by if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I have three small dogs who wear baby shirts. They just love wearing them because they keep them warm. Good idea remaking one as it is hard to find the right sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, SO cute! Love the idea, love the sweater and LOVE the pup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen some interesting dog sweater patterns, but this one seems to be the most useful and also very simple. I was buying dog sweaters from here: http://www.lolaandrocky.com, but now I might steel some ideas and make them myself:)

    ReplyDelete