9.27.2011

Sewing Essentials

September is National Sewing Month! Oh, how I love learning more about sewing and making homemade gifts for friends!

Hop on over to the Sew Mama Sew blog for a list of seven sewing essentials and links to multiple tutorials. They include:

1. Pre-washing fabric
2. Taking your measurements
3. Pressing
4. Seam finishing
5. Sewing zippers
6. Buttons and buttonholes
7. Hemming

I know how tempting it can be to take shortcuts during a sewing project - sometimes I'm just so excited to see the finished product that I'm not as careful as I should be. Something important I have learned since I started sewing is to do projects in small increments when necessary. If I try and take on too much I will rush through a project and almost always make some sort of silly mistake. These tips really do help to encourage your sewing abilities and make your finished products look more professional. Try something new this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment