1.04.2012

Goals for the New Year

2011 has been pretty flat - still in the same city, same job, same home, etc. It's been one of those years where I have found it difficult to live in the present because I was always looking forward  to what was going to happen next. There were some really great things about 2011, though, like finding a church we love in Fayetteville and being introduced to our couples small group. Those two items have pretty much changed our feelings about northwest Arkansas. I think 2012 will be interesting for us. Sean will finish school and I'm excited to see what type of job he will take and what kind of impact that might have on my job and where we live.

I'm not a big resolutions girl, but I do think it's healthy to evaluate the past year and think of new ways to improve relationships, hobbies, etc.

Here are things I would like to do better in the year 2012:

1. Personally recognize birthdays and anniversaries of family and close friends. Facebook isn't going to cut it here -- I'm talking about thinking ahead enough to have time to mail a card and give a call on their special day. I've set up most of them in my phone with a one week reminder, so hopefully that will help!

2. Do a better job praying for and supporting my own and my friends' marriages. Some ideas I have are: offer free babysitting so the parents can have a date night, offering to clean a friends home, giving random gift cards for dinners, sharing books that have been helpful or enlightening, and choosing one couple to intentionally pray for each month. Do you have other ideas? Please do share!

3. The obligatory 'healthy living' goal hasn't escaped me this year. While it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds along the way, I just really want to do a better job taking care of my body - no drastic diets for me, just laying off some of the junk food and getting some sort of regular physical activity. I feel better and more confident when I do these things.

There are certainly other areas of my life that could use some improvements - may 2012 be a year of growth {except in the waistline} :)

1 comment:

  1. I like your resolutions and think I could handle making them my own! I have implemented a no sweets policy for 40 days, not to lose weight, but just to see if I have more energy without the yo-yo blood sugar. I also like the idea of supporting people's marriages and intentionally praying for people. We've had two couples of friends separate lately. It is horribly sad and we should make a better effort to pray. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete