6.10.2013

Carson: one month old

Miss Carson is awesome -- I mean, she's pretty much awesome at everything a baby should be: eating, sleeping, pooping. I've heard others say they can't imagine life without their little baby and I can now attest that is such a true statement! It's like she's always been a member of our family!

Our new normal is pretty different than life before she arrived...my schedule is based on when she needs to eat, I feel like we pack a ton just to leave the house and take twice as long to get anywhere. This took some adjustment for me, but now that I'm used to it I feel like I can still get a lot accomplished in the day and look forward to the time I have with Carson at home.

I'm now halfway through my maternity leave and am sad it's going by so quickly -- thankfully, when I do go back to work it will just be three days a week and Sean's cousin will be watching her for us while I'm gone, who I know will love her so well.

Here's what she's up to at one month old:

  • According to my at home measurements, she's now about 10 pounds (!) and 23 inches long -- we don't go back to the doctor until she's two months old for official measurements. 
  • She's still in newborn diapers, but we will be switching very soon, as we're having more blowouts. The size 1 diapers look huge, though! 
  • I usually have her in 0-3 month clothes. Some newborn stuff still fits, it's just hit or miss based on the brand. She's usually just in a comfy onesie while at home.
  • Her schedule has been pretty consistent for a few weeks now, eating every three hours during the day, then one 5 and one 4 hour stretch at night. 
  • For the most part, you eat, stay awake for 45 minutes or so, then take a nap until the next feeding during the day. Your morning and evening naps are usually shorter than the afternoon nap.
  • She's taking a bottle very well -- we are replacing one feeding a day with the bottle and I pump to get used to this routine upon my return to work.
  • She will nap pretty much anywhere, but we try to stick to the crib/pack n play/sometimes the swing. 
  • Her fussy time is still the 7-8pm window, though last night she didn't cry at all, just wanted to be held and we happily did so. 
  • We moved her to the crib at night when she turned 4 weeks old -- a few nights in and it seems to be going very well. It's really amazing how babies' bodies know to keep on a schedule! I really like this switch, as I don't have to really bother Sean to feed her in the middle of the night and the chair in the nursery is so comfortable. 
  • You still have a lot of blonde hair, really blonde eyelashes and blue eyes. I actually think your eyes might be getting lighter in color.
  • She does great in her carseat -- we get out and about usually once a day to somewhere like Target or a walk around the neighborhood. Sean's work schedule has been so great while I'm on maternity leave since school is out and there's not a lot of summer camps yet, so we are getting a lot of quality family time. 



Dear Carson -- 

This first month together has been pretty great. Your dad and I are pretty smitten with you, astonished that we are your parents! Thanks for being such a great baby and taking it easy on us as we learn the parenting ropes. I'm super impressed with your eating and sleeping skills and am so thankful you're a healthy, growing baby. We get smiles from you sometimes and they are the most precious things -- we can't wait until we can get those more often and on demand! Carson, you're so lucky to have the dad you do -- he's going to take such good care of you (us) as you grow up. We're far from perfect parents, but believe we are perfectly suited to be your mom and dad. I am looking forward to the next month at home with you and can't wait to see your personality start to come out. We love you very much and are incredibly thankful to call you ours. 

Love, mom

No comments:

Post a Comment